We have already gone through some incredible benefits of CBD products to improve human’s health and performance. Using CBD drops on a daily basis is not only beneficial to us, but did you know that they can also be used to benefit the health of your furry best friend?
Yes! It can. Just like us humans, pets can suffer from anxiety and experience different emotions. And just like we care for a newborn child, we care for our pets health, both physically and mentally. Thanks to the popularity of CBD products for humans and its potential to alleviate pain, insomnia and even ease symptoms of cancer treatment, now we also can find many products containing CBD for our besties!
You might be asking yourself, but is it safe? Not every veterinary out there will agree. Even though CBD is a natural solution and to my knowledge have never showed major negative side effects, not so many studies have just yet been made to back that up. In 2018, the Cornell University made a research on 16 pooches with osteoarthritis; the study showed that a dose of CBD oil twice a day helped minimize pain and increase activity. Other research published by the National Library of Medicine, shows that giving CBD oil drops to pups with epilepsy reduced the frequency of their seizures.
How and When to Give Your Pet CBD
Nowadays we can find all sorts of products with CBD in the formula for pets: treats, flavoured tinctures, gummies and even peanut butter! But caution: it is highly important to consult an integrative vet before you introduce CBD on your pet diet. He will be the best person to tell you how much and which option is best.
- Osteoarthritis: 0.5 milligrams to 2 milligrams per kilogram of your pet’s weight, but it can be higher or lower depending on your pet’s needs and condition. For cats, you will likely need a slightly higher dose than dogs due to their faster metabolism.
- Anxiety: for anxiety caused by car rides or fireworks, give it to your furry friend a couple hours before the event and then right after — just be sure to try out the product a few times beforehand to find that optimal dose.
- Seizures: if you want to supplement your dog’s seizure treatment with a natural remedy, CBD oil should be your first option. The CBD, being a non-psychotropic component of the Cannabis sativa plant, has shown to have anticonvulsant properties.
- Chronic anxiety: a few drops per day on their food. Dosage will depend on weigh of your pet, so it is always good to consult the vet before starting a treatment. Always start by the smallest dosage and increase until you find the perfect one.
- Pain relief: thanks to CBD high anti-inflammatory properties, we can use it to help ease pain in animals too. Make sure to check with the vet before, in case your pet use other drugs and the components can influence one another.
If you consider using CBD as a treatment or to improve health of your pets, me sure to pop by to our shop and check out our 100% Organic Pet Health Drops.